Hotmail.com email is part of Outlook that is the new web based email service of Microsoft. The Hotmail login process and details have evolved in this new platform where Microsoft ensures that users have a secure way to access their Hotmail Sign in account and can use new and innovative email inbox features.
The login process to follow
Those who are Hotmail users can log on to their email account in easy ways. Though Hotmail domain does not have a separate existence, Microsoft provides a unified login panel for Hotmail and Outlook users in the following way:
- Whether someone types in the domain address like live.com, outlook.com or Hotmail.com, they are redirected to the same domain address.
- At outlook.com there is a unified login panel for Microsoft users; no matter what kind of account holder one is, this login panel provides them access to their account.
- For Hotmail users they need to start by entering their full email address as username.
- The next page seeks the password that one has set for their Hotmail account.
- Once these details are correctly entered you can access your Hotmail account.
There are certain changes that have come by when you wish to login to Hotmail. Instead of entering the username, in the unified login gateway for Hotmail you need to type in your full Hotmail email address in the username field. The password needs to be entered correct as the field is case sensitive.
Login security features for Hotmail
There was a time when Hotmail users found their email accounts infiltrated and hacked into easily; with such security concerns Microsoft stepped up efforts to reduce such mishaps or the possibility of occurrence of the same the following changes were introduced:
- Hotmail users were asked to choose passwords for their account that would be at least eight characters long; they should ideally contain alphanumeric characters and special characters as well.
- In the account settings of Hotmail users are encouraged to save additional information that can help to secure their account further. For instance, they can activate the two step verification feature for logging into their account. They can also use the access code feature to surpass keying in of the password.
- The additional details for security settings pertain to registering a valid phone number, email address and validating the same. These details are used by Hotmail when you have forgotten your account password or need to log in to your email account from a new computer or device.
The two step verification feature of Hotmail
Microsoft introduced this feature as a way to safeguard accounts of Hotmail and Outlook users. This requires one to additionally key in an access code that is sent to a registered phone number as a text message or emailed to an alternate email address. The process of two step verification for Hotmail accounts is as follows:
- You need to activate the two step verification process by visiting the account security settings.
- Here an account user needs to register a phone number; this is validated by keying in the code that is sent as a text message to the number.
- The other option is to register an alternate email address or to do both. The email address also needs to be validated similarly.
- Once these details are updated in one’s Hotmail account, they can avail of the two step verification feature to secure the login of their account.
- The two step verification feature comes into effect when one is logging into their account for the first time from any device, whether it is a desktop or laptop; it also enables one to receive alerts when Microsoft detects that a new login attempt has been made.